Every winter homeowners turn to supplemental heat sources such as gas fireplaces, generators, space heaters, wood stoves and kerosene heaters to reduce home utility costs and stay warm.
When using a supplemental heat source to save energy and money this winter, keep safety top of mind to prevent fire and Carbon Monoxide dangers - two of the most common winter safety hazards. Below is some safe heating advice.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet from people, pets or anything that can burn, especially furniture and curtains.
- Look for products that have built-in safety features like automatic shutoffs, anti-tipping devices and heat guards.
- To avoid serious home injuries and help you rest easy throughout the winter. Be sure to follow all manufacturers’ instructions for use and placement of heating devices.
- Place at least one Carbon Monoxide alarm in your home near sleeping areas. This will detect and alert your family when dangerous levels of the deadly and odorless - gas are present.
- Have your home’s central heating system inspected, cleaned and tuned by a trained professional who knows how to repair leaks and other problems.
- Never burn trash or cardboard boxes in your fireplace or wood stove; they burn unevenly and may contain poisons or cause a fire.
- Get your chimney inspected and cleaned every year by a professional chimney sweep.
Supplemental heat sources are a great way to stay warm without heating the entire house.Sara Kalke, REALTOR®